Tuesday, August 16, 2005

TO WRITE IS MY RITE

Most kids played "Hide and Seek" o "Kick the Can" week after week and didn't switch to other games like kissing dames. That came later when they were older and bolder and found out to kiss a miss was more fun and stirred those itches in their britches. I didn't know what I was missing by not kissing girls who'd wiggle and giggle and shut their eyes and pucker up as guys would give them a peck on the neck or nose but not on those waiting lips. But that's the way it goes the first time, I guess.a girl says "Yes."

I didn't go for schoolyard games and kissing dames was not my thing. Kids called me a ding-a-ling but as soon as I knew what words could do to write became my sacred rite. A little verse at first. I marveled how my lines would rhyme most of the time. I showed my poems to mom who'd say, "You were meant to have this talent. Where you got it, I don't know. But don't let it go. Let it grow. One day you'll know why this gift did not pass you by."

Let it be said from eight 'till eighty-two words that swirl in my head have told me what to do. Sometimes my rhymes are a mystery even to me. But write I must. This is my trust. I've dreamt of success but settled for less. Fame is not my game. I write because it's what I do. If you like it, lucky you. If you don't, take a hike, ride your bike, do what you like but let me be. Just let me be Me,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home