Thursday, April 28, 2005

THE ABSENTMINDED CONFESSOR

I am an absentminded confessor who will answer "Yes sir" to whatever you accuse me of. I'd come up with an excuse if it would be of use but it's easier to admit I did what I might have done. After all, someone has got to take the blame and it's all the same if you or I are put to shame than if the prosecution finds no solution to the crime and the execution is not carried out on time.

It really doesn't matter who did or didn't do it. We've all done things criminal, maximum or minimill, worth a year or two languishing and anguishing over who did what and why and when and where and does anybody really care?

Did you ever run a light, speed right through and just keep going and the guy next to you was slowing and he stopped? But the cop got confused and accused the innocent of criminal intent and he spent a night in jail because he couldn't pay the bail.

Did you turn around and slow down and tell the cop it was not him,it was you? And put yourself on the spot. Of course not. How stupid could you be?

It happened once to me. I got nabbed for what he did, he never blabbed and took the blame. The shame was heaped on me. I didn't resent it. He didn't invent it. The name of the game is "I'll Blame You and You Blame Me and One of Us Goes Free." Last time it was him, this time it's me.

Next time let some other sap take the rap.

Crime and punishment is a lot of crap.