Sunday, May 01, 2005

ACES UP MY SLEEVE

Thunder struck the day I was born and Lady Luck adorned me with a life of notoriety, society honored me as a celebrity. I fear I will inevitably succumb and become a man of wealth and power and nothing more.

The reason for my fame? I inherited the name of a man who laid claim to a fortune founded by his father's father back in the old Gold Rush days playing a game of hocus-pocus poker with, I do believe, four aces up his sleeve.

That's how the family fortune started, and each succeeding generation, through crooked manipulation kept the money flowing, knowing how to cheat and steal and wheel and deal but doing it all quite legally. You see, it all comes down to me to continue the legacy of the founder of a dynasty, based on the theory, that thievery and trickery are the only fair way to play the game

To this day it's a mystery of high finance history how this dynasty began. My family owns a chunk of every industry that controls the world's economy. I do believe, my grand daddy had those four aces up his
sleeve.

But despite my descendants, my friends are kings and presidents, the movers and the shakers, the fakers and the takers, who dictate how and why a million people die and wars are won and lost and how much oil will cost and they manipulate the rates and feed the hates and dine on gold plated plates while non-white nations live on starvation rations where babies die of dysentery and old folks have no hopes and dreams, all because the laws are such that some have too much and some not enough and most nothing at all to call their own.

I want to atone for the sins my fathers wrought, to spend what little lime I've got, to help the have-nots share the pot with such as I whose world is based on chicanery and trickery and the misery of the enslaved
majority.

I've sold my soul for a pot of gold. I have no aces up my sleeve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home