Monday, May 23, 2005

A DAY THE WORLD DIED---ALMOST

One day the sun failed to shine, the moon refused to glow, I watched the stars all disappear---where did the heavens go? I went to sleep and had a dream the world had died. When I awoke there was a sky without a single
cloud. It was gray. it wasn't blue. It covered Earth like a shroud and I heard God cry out loud, "They've taken my world away from me."

Farmers wailed as crops all failed and rivers dried and cattle cried for water The grass turned brown, no rain came down, and all over town homes burned down and there was no way to fight it.

Churches filled and people willed that God would face the blight and right it, But rumor spread that God was dead and it was said his son would rise and succeed him. If ever he was coming back, now was when he was needed. But day after day all was the same, he never came. People looked around to spread the blame but could not name the source of evil.

"Blame the devil," someone said. "He must have caused this havoc, this mystery of misery unlike any time in history. We demand a confrontation."

A commission was sent to hell to see what could be done. But when they rang the bell of hell there was not an answer, "Smash it down!" roared the crowd. And they did. What they saw were devil's advocates everywhere, people eating, drinking, having fun, naked dancers lolling in the sun, everyone as happy as could be, no sign of any misery.

And then they spied the devil's throne. He sat there talking on the phone. A television awaited his command. He returned the receiver to the hook, opened up a small black book and said, "I've been calling you. I just made a deal with some big wheel in Washington. He sounded like a lot of fun. I said I'll turn the sun and moon back on, replace the stars that now are gone. and with my big gold magic wand, turn what happened into one big nightmarish dream if you agree to George's scheme of which I approve explicitly. George will rule the universe and split the purse with me."

With that the devil flicked on the screen. And there was Bush with ears replaced by horns and all the GOP and defenders of democracy, bowing down to the man who wore the crown.

"He's my man," the devil said, turned off the TV and went bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home