Sunday, May 29, 2005

FOREVER AND A DAY

This is a wonderful world we live in. I want to live in it forever. How long is that? It's forever and a day. Even if I'm granted that extra day I'll still plead for more. I want to see what's going on after everyone is gone.

Why do I want to stay? Because there's so much I've never seen, never heard or tasted, pain and pleasure I've never experienced, so many places I've never been, so many people I've never met, so many books i've never read, so many poems I've never written.

There's a special someone I want to meet in every town along the way. An old man contemplating the fate of a troubled world. Students seeking answers to questions not yet posed, I want to probe minds that possess more wisdom than I could ever know.

So much awaits me down the pathway of life and the road grows ever longer, I fear my forever and a day will soon be here. I've heard the music, read the words, seen the brush strokes on canvas and in the sky, tasted the sweetness of pure air, inhaled the aroma of a pizza and an apple pie, a Thanksgiving turkey roasting to perfection, the lonely softness of new mown hay, the nectar of a rose in bloom.

Who chose the colors of the gently curving rainbow in the sky, the brilliance of a setting sun, the multicolored falling leaves, the magical wonder of a child just born?


I want to kiss the world farewell. I want to bid my friends good-bye and hold firm their trembling hands. I want to travel onward until the last forever and a day when the world must disappear.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like your other pieces, this one is also amazing. I particularly like the fourth paragraph (stanza?). The imagery you present there is concise and yet satiating to the senses.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home