Sunday, January 29, 2006

A FINAL GOODBYE TO DOCTOR HY

I flew from Florida to LA to say goodbye to my beloved brother who was honored on this sad and very special day. Hy, who will always be alive in my memory, began his eternal sleep at 84 after more years of pain and suffering than was his due.

This memorial is dedicated to I. Hyman Weiland, MD and PhD. a man who meant so much to me and to his family and the legions who respected his ability to slay the demons in their mind. He was a kind and skilled physician whose goal was solely to bring solace and bring peace, mostly to children in the throes of stress and illness which lies unexplained in the brain and arrested control of the soul.

This writing, as you will see, is not meant only as a comment on the life of Doctor Hy, but also on the importance of love and family and the way that we should deal with life's complexity and unexpected frailty. This is all about love, devotion and family.

We all are genetically connected to father, mother , sister, brother dating from each mating far back for generations of relations. We are all a product of the When that was Then and the now which is Now. Somehow, members of one family tend to look alike facially, physically and think and respond alike emotionally. Because We are Family. But when we grow up and go our separate ways, we tend to wend away from those early days. This is what happened to me and Hy.

It took finality to reawaken in me the importance of my family. The death of my brother brought us back together. Not weather, or in this instance, distance, could keep us apart. Isn't it strange how the heart can change mood and attitude? Does fear of fewer years and newer tears bring you face to face with reality and your own mortality? Does what you lose help you choose forgotten values you long refused?

All these questions renewed in me the need for family. Hy, like I, was a Navy man. His final request: to be cremated and his ashes scattered in the sea. And this was done as the motion of the ocean rocked our boat and we watched the flowers float and Hy's powdered remains disappear and heard the sighs and whispered prayers and saw the tears from trembling eyes. Is this always the way it is when a loved one dies?

Was God watching from behind the clouding sky as we said our last goodbye to Hy?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful, Uncle Eddie. Just beautiful.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gifted doctor who I can only hope was touched by the Holy Spirit of God. I pray for his family members and friends alike. Only the Lord can convict a man or woman of our fallen separation from God; both Jew and gentile alike. Only Jesus can bring salvation to a sinner's soul. There is no individual that can cheat death or from God's eternal judgement aprt from the saving knowledge of Christ. I leave this message as one of Dr. Weiland's former patients to his family and friends. I say this not to be smug or self-righteuos,but because I saw God's blessing to Dr. Weiland as a intellectually gifted Medical Doctor. Even moreover, I.H. was a down to earth man who used his gifts to help others in need. God bless you the readers of this message. I set pride aside to share these Biblical Truths out of my fond memory and gratitude to Dr. I.H.

3:10 AM  
Blogger RCA said...

very nice post!

11:08 AM  
Blogger PaulH said...

Hello. Was Dr. Irvin Hyman Weiland ever stationed at the Naval Hospital in San Diego? My dad mentioned someone with that name. He was stationed there in the 50s. Thanks, Paul Hart

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Michael Cottrell said...

Yes he was. He was my grandpa.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home