Monday, March 22, 2010

OYEVAY I HAVE BECOME A MAN!

Oye! Oye! Oye! Joy, oh joy. I’ve just turned thirteen. Do you know what that means? I’m a bar-mitzvah boy. I’m also a man! I’ve got a date with God; I’ll do the Haftorah and a whole lot more. Family and friends will say, ‘How do you do? So, nu. what’s new?’

“I’ll reply. Today I am a man, according to God’s plan. I’ll do all I can. I’ll work diligently to fulfill my destiny.” “What will you be? A doctor? Lawyer? PhD? A Chief of industry?”

“Frankly. sir. I don’t know. But I might be a rabbi. That appeals to me.”

“Let me tell you this, my son. Your great adventure has just begun. What you finally become may not to be some big success, to earn ten million, more or less, Do you know what God wants of you?”

“Tell me. sir, what does He want me to be?”

“A kind and loving family man, husband, father better than any child is entitled to, to protect and earn the respect of friend and foe and all you meet and all you know, do not cheat or steal another's wife, be good and true for all your life, earn an honest living, be generous in your giving, but give not what your family needs. Good deeds must start at home and be from the heart.’‘

“God expects a lot from me .But I will try. I will try.” “Indeed, you will. But now let’s go, have a bite of this and that, hope we don’t get too fat. Hm mm. That lox looks good, chopped liver, fish and cheese, bagels, too. All so good! What should I do? I say. eat up my bar-mitzvah boy, Enjoy. Enjoy!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home